Thursday, January 10, 2008

It All Started Here

On November 22, 2007 I started to feel ill. It happened right after we finished eating our Thanksgiving meal. By the time we got home I was feeling really bad. My wife, Jenna, ran out to get me some Malox, gasX and other medicines we thought might help. Nothing did. I was very uncomfortable that night.

The next day I went to urgent care to be checked out. They thought there was a possibility I had an ulcer. They took some blood and prescribed some medications for me. After a couple of days I started to feel a little better. Then one night I woke up with some very extreme abdominal pain. After a few minutes it started to subside and I was able to get back to sleep. Within about 10 min after falling asleep I woke back up again and the pain was back. I spent the rest of the night on the couch. It felt a little better to sit up a little.

That morning I went back to urgent care so they could take a look again. I had a fever, it's highest reaching over 102. They took some more blood and found my Kidneys were off the charts. The doctor thought it was possible I had a gallstone and sent me to get an ultrasound.

What they found on the ultrasound was numerous tumors on my liver. I couldn't believe it when he told me. I still didn't know if it was really cancer or not. They said it could be lesions, tumors or cyst and I didn't really know what all that meant. I did know it wasn't good and it scared the crap out of me.

The doctors from urgent care called my primary physician and told him what was going on. He scheduled a CT Scan for the next morning. It sucked. The following morning I had my CT scan done and then we met with my primary doc later in the day. Just as the ultrasound had seen, the CT showed multiple (10+) tumors on my liver. I was sent to the hospital later that evening. I had to wait in a bed in the ER before I got a room but that didn't take too long. My temp was way up at this point and I still had quite a bit of pain in the abdomen. I still didn't know what I had but I know it wasn't good.

No comments: