Tuesday, May 13, 2008

First Step Down

UCLA has accepted Mark into the Liver Transplant program... YAY! What this means is the first step in the process is completed. Next...UCLA will contact Mark and let him know what score he was assigned. You need a 28 out of 45 to actually receive a liver transplant. As one's healthy gets worse your score goes up. Since there is a such a high demand for organs, you must have a score of 28 or higher. After we find out Mark's score and any other details they share with us, UCLA will contact Blue Shield (our insurance). Then Blue Shield will need to also approve the transplant (basically the insurance company needs to let UCLA know that they will pay for the transplant when it happens). And then Mark will be on the list. Sorry for the clunky explanation, I hope you catch the jest of what I am trying to share with you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

YES! CONGRATULATIONS. It's about time. I will keep you all in my prayers that the insurance company will be a "stand up" sort of insurance company and approve Mark with no questions asked.

Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

AWESOME NEWS!!! I LOVE YOU ALL

Anonymous said...

That's good news!!! I really hope all goes well....Even though I'm a fan of USC I'm gonna be rooting for UCLA this time......

Anonymous said...

You think you could pass as a member of the Yakuza, they'll move you to the front of the line

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-ucla31-2008may31,0,1503718.story?track=rss