Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Latest Scoop

Has it been a month since I posted anything? I have been soooo blah about writing anything to do with hospitals, doctors, medicine, insurance...blah blah blah blah blah.

With that said we have new news. We heard from UCLA today and we have an appointment with our regular UCLA oncologist next Wednesday and a CT Scan before that appointment. Our oncologist has made us an appointment for that same day to also meet with the Chief of Liver Transplant Surgery (who is also the doctor that performed Mark's pancreas surgery). This doctor is very well renowned and we are so fortunate to have him on our team. This meeting is to discuss possibilities and options regarding getting Mark a transplant sooner than later. We are hoping Dr. Busuttil can assist in getting Mark's MELD score raised so he can be on the "active list" for people awaiting a transplant. Or another way to put it, we would hope for a transplant before the one we got goes kaa-poot, kaa-pesh?

I would also like to say a big thanks to our friends who came out to support us at the Relay for Life Walk. It was an emotional morning. Just the fact that we were there was upsetting for me. And during the opening ceremony's Survivor and Caregiver Lap I cried thru the half of the it as Mark and I arm and arm pushed the baby carriage around the lap. But at the end of the lap we were embraced by Anna and Michael. I had never been so happy to see two other people and their big, distracting smiles. The team we were on called us that following Monday to say we had raised a lot of $$$ and that many people came by the booth to check in and say they were walking on Mark's behalf. Much appreciated to you all for your time and donations.

We will update that blog after next week's appointments.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember the my first Relay For Life and seeing my sister's name on a luminary bag and the emotions--then only the next year seeing my name on a bag as a survivor and that was very, very emotional--and then walking the first lap around the track with the "people of hope." That knocked my socks off!

It just shows the stength through numbers helps and cancer smacks us up side the head to remind us how good life is and we should respect it every breath.

Dad, Patrick

Anonymous said...

The appointment coming up sounds really encouraging. I forgot to ask...is there any reason why they can't do a partial transplant using a live doner? Just curious.

So glad the walk was such a success. I wish I could have been there with you.

Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

praying for good news on you next appointment.you and your family are always in my prayers.